Fire Damages Garage In FDL

Fire damaged a two-car garage at 440 Portage Street in Fond du Lac early Tuesday afternoon. Fire Chief Peter O’Leary says they got a call shortly after noon. He says smoke was coming from the detached garage when they arrived. He says the garage was being used for some type of small repair facility and it had a car and other machinery in it. He says they found out a portable heater had been left on overnight. It started a chair on fire that was too close to the heater. The owner’s girlfriend saw smoke coming from the garage and called the fire in. Chief O’Leary says there was quite a bit of damage to the contents of the garage. He says they had to cut away part of a steel door in the garage. No injuries were reported. The time of the fire call was 12:06 p.m. Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue photo.