Pier School Emptied after Fan Motor Failure Causes Smoke

A failed HVAC system fan motor seems to be the source of smoke at Pier School on Wednesday morning. Fond du Lac firefighters responded to the school along Old Pioneer Road around 10:15am – where they found smoke in a computer room. Maintenance workers reported the smoke, and were unsure of the exact source. School was not in session, but some staff workers were in the building at the time – they all left the building safely. The failed motor apparently melted some wiring, which created the smoke that wafted through the building. Crews isolated electrical power to the room as they cleared the building of smoke.